Virginia Tech™home

Non-Funded Agreements

In addition to funded agreements, or awards, there are various types of non-funded (or unfunded) agreements that the Office of Sponsored Programs Contracts Team can assist researchers in reviewing, negotiating, and executing on behalf of the

To initiate the review of a non-funded agreement, please follow the guidance below.

A Non-Disclosure Agreement ensures that certain information disclosed in discussions are kept confidential and are only used for the limited purposes defined in the Non-Disclosure Agreement.

To initiate an Non-Disclosure Agreement, visit Summit Agreements to create a draft to submit to the Office of Sponsored Programs. Please see the User Guide, or direct additional questions you may have to

A Material Transfer Agreement is needed when sending or receiving physical materials or software to/from a non-Virginia Tech entity.

To initiate an Material Transfer Agreement, please complete the Material Transfer Agreement Request Form and submit the completed form to

A Data Use Agreement is needed any time there will be a transfer of data, a dataset or software that is non-public or is otherwise subject to restrictions on its use, a Data Use Agreement may or may not consist of human subject data.

To initiate a Data Use Agreement, please complete the Data Transfer/Use Agreement Request form.

This include the following agreement types:

  • Memoranda of Understanding
  • Non-Funded Collaboration Agreements
  • Master Research Agreements
  • Teaming Agreements
  • Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs)

To initiate a non-funded agreement (other than an Non-Disclosure Agreement, Material Transfer Agreement or Data Use Agreement), please complete the Other Agreement Request Form and submit the completed form to